Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Living in a hologram?

In the Halloween episode of the Big Bang Theory, Leonard showed Penny the hologram of a pencil and told her that the string theory ‘thinks’ that we all live in a hologram, or at least, this can be possible. It reminded me a bit of what I wrote about the 5th season and what it meant to me. ‘This is not what it looks like’ (you find and can read the story when you click on the tab 'My work'). That was the main sentence of the 5th season of the show, and I still love to think about that. I mean, who says what anything looks like?

For those who have read ‘What are you really looking for?’, you might remember that the girl who just appeared, changed the way the guys saw the set, but nothing had really changed. It was some sort of hologram that I thought of, so when I saw that scene I was thinking about exactly that. When you have read a physics book, then you know that what we see isn’t actually there like that. It’s like the computer, which needs only 0 and 1, but what we see and what it is able to show us, is much more than the two numbers.

Same it is in real life. There are only atoms, no form, no colors, nothing. This is all our imagination. You say I’m kidding? No, read a physics book, it’s in there. The way atoms react with each other gives everything its forms and they way the sun reflects on them causes the colors we see. That was a very easy explanation, the truth is a bit more complicated. But when I first read about that, I was really impressed.
I mean that our eyes see things, and our brain turns it upside down to create a senseful picture, that’s what probably all of us know from Biology. But our eyes see no pictures, it’s like the 0 and 1 in the computer. Our brain creates the picture out of the data given by the eyes. So what something looks like is depending on what our brain let us see. With that knowledge I had the idea that when someone would figure out the ‘atom-code’, so the actual atom composition of each body, they could figure out which atoms are needed to change the way the brain creates its picture and you see something totally different instead of what is really there.

Maybe we do live in a hologram, maybe what we see isn’t the reality. It’s just our imagination, but not like in a dream life that we can simply change the way we see it. So often we only see what we wanna see, that’s no question. But maybe the one who once 'programmed' us, wanted us to see it like we see it. I mean if we would live in a world in which we were only able to see atoms, wouldn't this be very weird? 
Maybe there’s so much unexplored, so much that we yet not know, that we’re not aware of.

5 comments:

Meradeth Houston said...

This reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "life is what you make of it." Kind of related, you know? Literally! :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love the depth of this post. Very thought-provoking!!

Leslie S. Rose said...

If Sheldon is in the hologram world, I'm in. Thanks for stopping by my blog and supporting Melissa. Cheers.

Li said...

Thought provoking. And one of the best ways, IMO, to "see" what other people see, is through their art, photography and writing. :-)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sanny - all I can say is thank goodness we all seem to look through much the same eyes ... the thought of having 7 billion people not seeing the world as I see it - laptop, desk, sunlight coming in .. stuff piled around me (needs to be sorted) .. I know their world will be different - but the leaves will be leaves, the mountains mountain up, the sea spreads forth ..

Interesting imaginative thoughts though .. cheers Hilary

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...